Fort Ellice Elbow Trail
Fort Ellice-Elbow Trail
Western bound travelers traversing the Plains via the Old Fort Ellice-Elbow Trail became increasingly wary as the neared the great buffalo pastures along the South Saskatchewan River, for the area was jealously sought and fiercely guarded by Blackfoot, Cree and Assiniboine alike.
Near the Elbow the trail connected with others leading North to the Main Forks of the Saskatchewan, South to the Cypress Hills, and West to the Red Deer Forks. Hudson's Bay Company Men from the Qu'Appelle River, Touchwood Hills and Last Mountain Lake Posts made Extensive use of the trail.
Captain John Palliser and Professor Henry Youle Hind travelled part of it in 1857 and 1858, and the Earl of Southesk used it in 1859.
A segment is still visible in the Arm River Valley east of the Historic Marker sign.
|Land Location||SE S33 T20 R24 W2M|
|Rural Municipality||190 - Dufferin|
|GPS Location||50° 44' 20.08" N, 105° 16' 21.22" W|