Saskatchewan Landing

From Forgotten Lives
Jump to: navigation, search

Details

Built By {{{BuiltBy}}}
Date Erected {{{DateErected}}}
Closed {{{Closed}}}
Established {{{Established}}}
School District {{{SchoolDistrict}}}

Saskatchewan Landing has been the main North-South crossing of the South Saskatchewan for generations. Indians regularly forded the river here, and Metis Buffalo - Hunters turned their Red River carts into boats and paddled across.

In 1883 a government ferry was established here to service traffic of the Battleford - Swift Current trail. Cart ruts are still visible in the hills to the south. The ferry operated continuously until the present bridge was opened in 1953 and dedicated to the pioneers of the surrounding area.

A stage station was operated here for many years and for a short time after 1885 a N.W.M.P patrol station.

A this point in 1885 Colonel Otter moved his troops across, enroute to the relief of Battleford from Swift Current.

Location

Land Location SW S36 T19 R15 W3M
Rural Municipality 167 - Saskatchewan Landing
GPS Location 50° 38' 51", -107° 57' 48"
Loading map...

Photos