Swift Current Battleford Trail

From Forgotten Lives
Jump to: navigation, search

Details

Built By {{{BuiltBy}}}
Date Erected {{{DateErected}}}
Closed {{{Closed}}}
Established {{{Established}}}
School District {{{SchoolDistrict}}}

When the railway reached Swift Current in 1883 this trail became the chief overland link between Battleford and the outside world. From 1876 North West Mounted Police from Battleford regularly patrolled it. But from 1883 until 1890 the full length of the trail was traversed by freighters' cart trains, settlers' wagons, police buckboards and a stage. In 1885, Colonel Otter led a large force of troops over the trail to the relief of the settlers at Battleford. After 1890 the trail gradually fell into disuse.

Location

Land Location SW S14 T26 R17 W3M
Rural Municipality 257 - Monet
GPS Location 51° 12' 47", -108° 16' 46"
Loading map...

Photos